I heard something beautiful about Valentine’s Day – while many of us associate it with love between lovers, it’s also a day to release the past, and renew one’s commitment to love!
Last Saturday, I helped organize an Awakin day-long retreat in New York City, where we focused on the topic of ‘The Art of Forgiveness’. There were nearly 20 of us there, and when we first started, many of us didn’t know whether forgiveness would be a meaningful enough topic.
As the day progressed, we sat in meditation, and shared our personal questions and experiences around the topic, we came to the conclusion that forgiveness isn’t easy – and yet, it is the MOST VITAL aspect of being alive, as human beings.
Lack of forgiveness is the only thing holding us from living our dreams, or finding (and keeping) our dream partnership. It’s the only thing that separates us from each other, as our ego uses pride and hurt to protect ourselves from getting hurt any further.
Forgiveness is the key to all-encompassing, everlasting, joyful love.
Why is forgiveness and ‘letting go’ so difficult? It’s a vast topic, one that I support my clients in, in healing and surrendering to what’s truly possible – compassion and love, even for the ones who have hurt us. Imagine how light you would feel, if you could release your grievances?
From my own experience of holding on to anger and hurt from past ‘failed’ relationships, I found that trying to be happy took extra energy. But being hurt was even more draining! I was also afraid of dating, and being rejected; my fear of heartbreak would paralyze me or lead to sabotaging dating behaviors.
Moreover, I felt ‘unwhole’ and couldn’t face the dark sides of me that held on to anger and hatred.
So, today, my gift to you is of a prayer of Forgiveness.
I pray for all of us to allow forgiveness to enter our lives, and fill us with golden light of grace.
Here are 3 exercises you can do today:
1. Exercise in letting go
To support in your healing and ‘letting go’, here is an exercise you can do today: Write a letter of forgiveness to someone (even yourself), in which you share everything from your heart. What happened, how you felt, and what you needed. Feel free to experience the emotions, and grieve if you need to. Ask for, and offer, forgiveness. Ask the universe for grace, healing and releasing the past. Keep it under your bed for 9 days, and then send it to this person; or do a ritual such as going to a temple or church, and offering it.
2. Write a manifestation prayer
Write a manifestation prayer, of the kind of love you would like in your life. What would you be doing? How would you feel? What values would you share? Believe that it is on your way – and place it under your pillow.
3. Affirmations that you can start to use everyday, starting today (you may even say it to yourself, in a mirror!)
- I accept, love and forgive myself, for all that I am.
- As I forgive myself, it becomes easier to forgive others.
- I am releasing all old relationships and feelings that no longer serve me.
- I forgive everyone in my past for all perceived wrongs. I release them with love.
- I surrender to love, healing and grace.
- I am open to, and committed to, receiving and giving unconditional love.
- I am committed to understanding, accepting, loving and forgiving myself, and others.
- I am beautiful, compassionate, loving, kind and equanimous.
- I am grateful to my parents, siblings, friends, colleagues, my community and networks, Mother Earth and for all beings who support me. I am supported by uncountable beings; and am filled with gratitude for my health, well-being, clothing, shelter and food.
- I pray for the happiness, healing and love, for myself, and all beings.
- All is well.
I know that doing these, everyday, will lead to a shift within.
- Practice Self Love
- Clear your spiritual blocks and increase your vibration & magnetism
- Date and attract your soulmate in a healthy, joyful way