Healing the Mother (and Father) wound is the most important for us to grow into our fully actualized selves. I am sharing some notes from a recent interview with Bethany Webster, from the Her Terms telesummit.
I have used a similar process for healing my relationships with myself, and others who love me. My techniques also involve some inner child work – aspects of Thich Nhat Hanh’s Reconciliation – and a lot of it, through other mindfulness/forgiveness practices. It really depends on how the wound is manifesting in a person’s life today – especially as it comes to one’s relationships and career.
Healing the Mother Wound- 7 Steps by Bethany Webster
- Seeing our mother as foundation as woman – inventory of mother’s beliefs – sex, money, relationships, career,
Look at how it’s relevant to me
Also explores other elements of human development
- Taboos & stereotypes that don’t allow us to heal the mother wound
e.g. don’t be angry at your mom – shame-based
- Addressing the mother gap – gap between what you needed vs received. Source of pain in some way – then we project onto others
- Giving up the ‘impossible dream’ –
unconscious belief – if only i xxx then my mother will finally xxx (accept, love, etc) me
It was not your fault that she couldn’t meet your needs. You were powerless
- Allowing yourself to grieve – we can’t change our families. Wearing a mask doesn’t solve anything – true love. Mother wound is like physical wound – give yourself support, love,
The more we grieve – the more we let go – healing for men – existential grief
- Transforming the inner mother – Our mother’s voices live in our heads -> a mother who can support us. This is the beginning of our true freedom. Transform attachment bond from outer mother to inside of us. The more inner safetey we create – we become more innovative
- Emergence – life beyond mother wound – Ton of energy returned to us/freed up for new choices/directions – great ease that opens up in life. Expanded capacity for pleasure. Deserving of things – setting boundaries. Honoring the journey and creating more space. Managing mother wound going forward. We heal on a spiral – it never goes away – it transforms from pain to a source of wisdom & compassion. Wound becomes light. Divine purpose of mother wound is to shatter our heart open and hold everything in our hearts.
What types of men are you attracting? Take the free Love Magnet Quiz and get your personalized Love Assessment.
Is it time you partnered with a Love & Relationship expert to take control of your life? Apply for a complimentary discovery session with Sarika Jain to discover how you can:
- Practice Self Love
- Clear your spiritual blocks and increase your vibration & magnetism
- Date and attract your soulmate in a healthy, joyful way